12 September 2024

Guest post series - 'Filohax' No. 14 - Paul

Thanks very much again to Paul for this fourteenth instalment of his wonderful guest post series.
You can find all of the 'Filohax' posts here.  

Filohax Gloucester review 

Second of my recent purchases is the Gloucester.

 

First a bit of back story. 

Since reconnecting with my Filofax past, I've made it known in my friends and contacts circles that I am 'Mr Filofax', and this had bagged me an unwanted Personal Pimlico from my friend network. However, I hit the big time when a contact of a contact had an old unused and unwanted Filofax. Several very poor photos were emailed which gave nothing away, until I asked for a photo of any serial number visible on an inside cover. When I saw the serial number '6CL 7/8' I knew I had hit pay dirt, and I'm too embarrassed to say how low a fee I paid (let's just say I hit the 'bullseye' 😉). 

 

I realised I had a few more bonus' once I received it; the first was its almost pristine condition (save for a slight scuff on the bottom of the front cover), but the real one was realising I had purchased the working binder of a Filofax trainer from the mid 1980's, as it contained a 44 page 'Filofax Retail staff development course' punched course notes, again in mint condition. I had a bit of a chat with the now 80 year old ex trainer, but he could only recall delivering this training in high end London stores such as John Lewis and Harrods to sell 'to the yuppies '!... well it was 40 years ago!). 


 

 

Its condition was as to be expected for a binder used for a short period in the 1980's, and then stored flat in a drawer for nearly 40 years - clean-ish but dry and quite poor flatability. 

After cleaning and feeding the leather it's looking as good as new, and the rings are as good as if purchased yesterday (well, maybe not yesterday if quality standards these days are anything to go by!) 

 

As with my other recent purchase, the Argyll, the Gloucester doesn't have ring protectors and as a consequence, I've come to appreciate the aesthetic qualities of the 'ring impressions' this lack leaves in the leather. Due to the Gloucester's lack of use this isn't yet showing, but as I've moved my work inserts into the Gloucester I'm hoping that these will break in soon as I love the 'lived in look' of vintage Filofax. One major benefit I'm finding from using it for work is its lack of fastener - I use a man bag and can be pulling the Filofax in and out of it 30 times a day, so now there is no fastener to snag on the bag. 


 

The other benefit of these 'clean lines' is the lack of a pen loop - ordinarily this would pose a problem, but as I use a pen loop WITHIN the 7/8 rings there is nothing to snag on the bag as I retrieve it. A real benefit for using the Gloucester for work. I also love the authentic quality of the leather - it just feels like calf hide cut to shape and dyed, that's it, no padding or stiffening giving a very straightforward feeling. 

Do any Gloucester owners have any insights or stories to tell?

15 comments:

  1. This model is one of my favourites, so lovely to see it covered here thanks. I like the clean lines and the classic wallet style pockets. The versions with smaller rings offer increased portability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately after using a Slimline Kid as my EDC over the summer months I've recently moved back into my 7/8 ringed Winchester and realised I need 'everything in one place ' but 5/4 would be too much.

      Delete
    2. Half inch rings can be a good compromise - essentially the same as the “compact” size offered today.

      Delete
  2. I love the course notes insert; this sort of thing fascinates me (as someone who mostly uses Filofaxes for my own field instruction manuals). Would love to see the rest of it...

    I wonder if it would help current Filofax executives to remember what their product is...

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, Im not a 'collector' as such so although the training notes are of historical interesti don't intend hanging on to them. I get more of a thrill from finding out the history of the binders I find, and more importantly their owners.

      Delete
    2. Paul, please check with Steve before discarding The Filofax Training Inserts. If not, catch me at the September 21 & 22 Philofaxy Virtual Meet-up on Skype. -Jessie, Pittsburgh, Stateside.

      Delete
    3. Yes it would be great to have those scanned and added to our collection with the catalogues.

      Delete
  3. That p42 mentions a B5 page size; it must have been discussing the 9-ring, B5 Deskfax, introduced in 1988, replacing the 6-ring, double Personal page width Deskfax that still featured in the 1987 catalogue.

    That gives a clue to the date of those inserts; no earlier than 1988...

    The idea of asking one's social circle for redundant Filofaxes has just prompted a post on my Facebook page... At least they've been primed to my obsession by years of posts about DofE manual creation...

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great detective work! I must admit to growing a bit weary of eBay as I don't have unlimited budget these days... was there ever a Golden era for collecting Filofax? Before sellers wised up to the inherent value in them?

      Delete
    2. Yes - the catalogues suggest the 9 hole Deskfax format was temporarily renamed to Professional in 1989, and Professional is what’s mentioned in the image.
      I think the binder pre-dates the training pages by a few years.

      Delete
    3. Gmax, I've just looked up on Filowiki and it gives a production period of just 2 years - 1984-86, I just expected this to have been around for decades, the design seems so ,'vintage'?!

      Delete
    4. Yes these were around a long time before that date range Paul. The 6CL is listed in the 1980 catalogue, and prior to that the design was known as A.299.

      Delete
    5. The pocket layout is almost identical to the A.299 (barring the curved edge to the LH full height pocket); that goes back at least as far as 1937. These had ring options of 1/4", 1/2" & 1" (though you paid 1/6 and 2/6 extra, respectively, for the bigger rings...).

      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Reading your posts always makes me wonder what models to look out for to get a good one, or what years of production to look for. You always seem to find good, vintage binders. I see a lot with the worn leather edges. Some rather cheap old models on ebay with worn out edges and clasp.

    I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow's FFAF post to get my many questions out on this topic. Although I bet there is already a post on buying vintage or other good used filofaxes on here somewhere that would answer any beginner collector's questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul B I've only been doing this for less than 2 years (I used a Winchester from 1989 to 1999) and my only tip is don't believe the eBay photos, as a dud can scrub up fine 😉

      Delete