14 March 2016

Having a bit of a rethink for 2016

Since writing my previous post, I admit that there have been some further changes in my binder collection! I was initially irritated that I had broken my zero spend promise, but have since realised that this process has been quite useful in helping me figure out what I want to use and keep. I am never going to own a large number of binders, so I guess this is all about me keeping the smallest number that satisfy my changing needs and for when I need a bit of variety. I'm a minimalist at heart, but it occurred to me that minimalism isn't about depriving myself and instead about enjoying the possessions I do have and using them. I read a quote recently that seemed to match how I've been thinking recently:

'The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak' - Hans Hofmann.

My new A5 arrived and whilst I could appreciate the wonderful craftsmanship, I realised that it just didn't tick all the boxes for what I want from a binder in that size. The company very kindly allowed me to return it for a refund, but I had already agreed to sell my A5 Stratford at this point. I then shared a list of my binders in a couple of Facebook groups, with the hope that someone would be interested in a swap. The swap didn't go ahead, but I was delighted when I was offered an A5 Ascot. I previously owned one and they are wonderful binders, so I realised that I didn't want to pass another one up. My new Ascot needed a bit of repair just like the other one, but I am very happy to be back in one and will write a post about it soon.

I had decided to keep four binders - my black personal Dundee, vintage Mulberry agenda, vintage red 3CL slimline and brown A5 Ascot. However, when someone expressed interest in the Mulberry I realised that I just didn't feel the need to keep it and have now sold it. Whilst I like the A6 size, I don't really want to get into swapping between the sizes, especially as I can just put A6 paper in my Dundee.

And finally down to my other changes... The vintage slimline is a lovely binder, but I'm only using it as a notebook and for me, it just doesn't feel a good enough reason to keep it. I love the idea of using slimline as my main binder, but I know that I'd struggle as I like to keep enough spare paper to scribble on and personal size is just better for that. The slimline will be sold and will be replaced with a vintage Coach planner that I just purchased from the Adspot page from a Philofaxy reader.


Despite not sticking to my promise, I'm very happy as I feel that two different personals for some variety plus an A5 for projects is perfect for me. I also have the Raydori that Ray Blake so kindly gave to me, so I am confident that I have a nice range of planners which means I won't feel the need to buy any more. I purchased the Coach planner on the 12th March, so this means that I will just be extending my zero spend on binders and planners to a year from then.

8 comments:

  1. But selling the Red 3CL makes it net-zero, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, I like your thinking as I hadn't thought of it like that! I had planned to keep four in total, so whilst I've spent money, I will actually be keeping less :)

      Delete
  2. The Coach binder looks nice. I had not purchased these products and most paper in a long time because I would rather design my insert and other pages. If I prefer a chart on the page I want it for only some weeks. I do not know those weeks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I tend to do a conscious and well thought out and item has to tick all the boxes spend month... ie if I want to buy another A5 binder it must have two pen loops or I am really not interested..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy stories of you binder journey, Anita. I never jumped on the A6 bandwagon, still I'm usually in three or four binders at a time. We had a warm spell a few weeks ago and I switched back into a pocket without a thought. Enjoy your Ascot…looking forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband thought I was crazy when I showed him the shelves of other binder collectors. Then I explained how some will buy one, use it for the year, store on the shelf instead of throwing it away, buy a new one for the next year and fill it up, and so on... We may have another planner fan soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to show him my web-site: http://steve-morton.com let it load and it will scan right and left after a few seconds :)

      Delete