04 February 2018

Reader under the spotlight - Louise

Today I would like to introduce you to Louise. 

Hi, my name is Louise and I'm a secondary teacher in the UK. I discovered the planner community in earnest back in the summer holidays of 2015, while watching a YouTube clip of a chap from Shropshire who was living on canal boats at the time and posting about his adventures.

He had a curious little brown leather notebook to track his daily events. It was a Midori passport sized…so I searched for it…and there has been no turning back ever since.

My style and focus has changed since this time, (I've tried nearly everything!) but in 2018, I am happily in personal rings and cutting down on customs and postage fees by buying all my lovely stickers and inserts locally in the UK. (well…mostly)

1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

My first organiser was a brown Midori travelers notebook, purchased in August of 2015.

2. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

My current favourite size and style is personal rings. I started with a Kikki K to see if it worked, and I am so pleased with its functionality that I ordered my first Van der Spek Touch Me in Blue de France today. I really like having different sections and changing about their size and location when I need, which is harder in a TN or other notebook.

3. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

I have a lot…travellers notebooks from Midori, Gillio, Chic Sparrow, Foxy Fix and Webster's Pages. Notebooks and covers from Gillio, Stalogy and Hobonichi. A few A5 binders which were too big and a Jibun Techo for work (which I still use). Oh…and a Van der Spek standard on the way!

4. What do you use your organisers for?

For home - to do, projects (photography, natural history, essential oils, technology),  health, notes, schedule and for work. (I'm a teacher, could say a lot here….)

5. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?

These are my current sections:

  • Yearly calendar
  • Week on 4 pages vertical
  • Daily notes / to do
  • Inbox/notes
  • Expenses
  • Online purchases
  • Weekly tracking
  • Health
  • Contacts
  • Reading/watching
  • Lists


6. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

Leather - amazing colour, 30mm rings, gusseted zipped pocket, two elasticated pen loops, large back pocket, card slots, secretarial pouches…..sounds like something I just ordered….oh and it would have a sturdy back page lifter and a fun today bookmark. There would be space for top and side tabs too.

7. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

If you find you have tracking or daily notes pages in your planner you are not using, pull them out of their sections and insert them in your weeks you are using regularly. Overcomes the issue of 'out of sight out of mind.' Also, try different sizes and styles until you find what works for you, invest in this and have a big de-stash of all that lovely stationery you have hardly used! (note to self)

8. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

I haven't been to a Philofaxy meet up, but I would if not too far. I have been to Anna Brim's Cambridge planner meet up and am going for a second time this year.

9. What was the last movie you watched? 

The last movie I watched was 'Kingsman - The Golden Circle' (great Elton John scenes!)

10. What was the last book you read? 

Lagom - The Swedish art of balanced living by Linnea Dunne. (fabulous discussion of not too little / not too much and cinnamon buns!)

Thank you Louise

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'. So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today.

2 comments:

  1. Louise, your layout is lovely! What inserts are you using? Thanks for your wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those customs fees really are a scam aren't they? It's as if UK Border Force make up a number at random, then multiply it by two (or three if the day has an r in it) and then just hold your goods to ransom until the fee is paid. Mrs Poorly recently had to pay £12 for a parcel of 2 t shirts value $28. Sadly this is why I can no longer buy any Filofax or other goods from outside the UK.

    You're definitely not the only schoolteacher who uses a paper planner. I know one personally and often see a second when I'm catching my London bound train from Crewkerne station in Somerset!

    That's an impressive list of sections! What dividers do you use?

    ReplyDelete