09 July 2011

Reader Under the Spotlight - Cat


This time around it is the turn of Cathryn or Cat as she signs herself to go 'under the spotlight.

By profession I work in Marketing, but in real life I write the blog ‘Cat’s Corner,’ where I like to talk about my favourite things, including (of course) Filofax!

Read all my Filofax blog posts here, follow my updates on Twitter or see pictures of my Filofaxes on Flickr

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?


In the 80s, as a small girl, I was given a Mickey Mouse Fun Fax! I’ve no idea what I wrote in it, but I loved it and took it everywhere with me. I always hankered after getting a great big A5 leather Filofax, like the fabulous 80s businesswomen in the movies at the time!

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

At University I had a pink translucent WHSmith mini organiser and then later, a Collins organiser/diary, but neither compared to the genuine Filofax experience! I also recently picked up a second hand leather Cross organiser, which is the same size as Filofax Pocket, but I’ll probably use it as a notepad.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

Well, I finally got that big leather Filofax I always wanted, in the form of an A5 black Balmoral, which is my pride and joy. I have a busy job in Marketing and it keeps me organised as a desk diary, I just love it! I’ve had it since 2003 when I bought it in the Paperchase mid-year sale at a bargain half-price discount – woop!

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

I didn’t realise I had so many, but I just counted a total of nine...

5. What do you use your Filofax for?

I have:
  • Two Minis - purple Finsbury, which I recently picked up brand new in a charity shop and a red Balmoral, which is sadly broken, but I can’t bear to part with – neither currently in use.
  • Three Pockets - Eden, my travel journal, Fresco, yet to be used and a zipped black Durham, which I currently use to archive older pages.
  • A black Slimline Personal Finsbury - currently using as my everyday organiser.
  • A vintage black leather Personal - used last year as an everyday organiser, currently used as an archive.
  • Two A5s - the aforementioned black Balmoral and most recently, hubby’s old tan Finsbury, which I plan to turn into a sketchbook!

Phew!

6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

Making it totally mine, exactly customised for each and every purpose I desire!

7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

Ooh, my dream come true! I think it would have to have a durable suede covering (while we’re dreaming, why not make it my fave colour, purple?!), lots of pockets inside and an expandable pocket on the outside, so that I could use it as a clutch when I don’t need to carry a big bag. This would be great, for example, when I meet the girls for dinner after work and we flick through our diaries together, working out our next dinner date!

8. How do you carry your Filofax?

My A5 Balmoral stays on my desk during the week and in my laptop bag if I’m offsite – it’s too heavy to carry in my handbag! Of course, I also bring it around the office to every meeting, for which I get a lot of stick, but I don’t care (iPad, shmypad, give me paper any day!).

My Slimline Finsbury comes everywhere with me in my handbag to track my social calendar, finances, to-do list, notes, etc.

9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

Good question – now you’ve made me look at the Filofax website, darn you! The new Osterley looks amazing... and having watched Imy and Steve’s fabulous Flex videos, I kinda want one of those too! Hubby just read I have 9 already – he says that doesn’t mean I can buy number 10 haha! We’ll see...

10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

The A5 Balmoral... but it was half price (at around £60) and it’s eight years strong, so I think it was justified!

11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

Everyone’s enthusiasm for Filofax, I love reading the diversity of posts and keeping up to date on all the latest Filo trends!

12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

N/A ;o)

13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?

Alter Bridge: AB III - yup, I’m a rock chick!

Thank you Cat for telling us a bit more about yourself and how you use your Filofax Organisers. 

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I would never use my iPad in meetings! Looks way less professional than a Filofax! But then of course I would totally get you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to learn more about you! Your fashionable bargain hunting finds make me a tinge green with envy, by the way. ;)

    Paper rules--agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments and sorry Sandra for my bargain hunting, I loves a good charity shop!

    P.S. Yay, I've finally figured out how to comment on Philofaxy - look out world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! The Osterly is getting a lot of buzz lately. I'm intrigued. It's not available in the US as of right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get these dividers? It looks as if they are transparent and you can slip in the little bits of paper with the description. What brand are they? Can you also slip in a bigger piece of paper in the body or only a small one in the tabs?
    As you can see, I am very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and great stories about your love for Filofax back in the days!
    I was wondering the same thing Estelle asked. Those clear tabs seem be able to slide in a paper?! I looked up on the filofaxUS and filofaxUK websites but didn't see them. Any suggestions on where to find those lovely customizable clear tabs? :)

    ReplyDelete