06 July 2011

Reader Under the Spotlight - Sandra

This week’s reader under the spotlight is Sandra (skhen), who was pushed and prodded into the blogging world by various Philofaxy fans. She is a secondary school English (literature) teacher, a doctoral student in Curriculum and Instructions (Ed.D in 2012), a mother of four Filofax-loving rugrats, and a spouse of a doggedly anti-planner man. She adores reading, writing, planning, mothering, and blogging as often as her ridiculously packed schedule allows at Miscellany from a Filofax Fanatic.


1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

I bought a bonded leather, black personal Filofax on Ebay in 2002. I believe it was called "City" model, but it vanished long ago in a mad decluttering session. I wasn't using it, so off to Goodwill it went. I can't believe it either! :(

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I have used Dayrunner, Day-Timer, and Franklin Covey 365 line on and off through and since college. I really like the look of some Succes binders, though! Laurie has sold me on the WeekDate for 2012 for a home organizational tool, and both she and Rori's enthusiasm for the Women's Success Journal make me take second (and third) looks at that particular format.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

Gee, let's pick a favorite child, shall we? Don't tell the others, but my personal crimson/pocket black Maldens are my buddies for daily use. I love each Filofax equally, just differently. ;)

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

14?! 15 if you count the brown pocket Finsbury my dear, stubborn husband refuses to use.

5. What do you use your Filofax for?
  • My daily calendar is the personal crimson Malden.
  • My wallet is pocket black Malden.
  • A5's: pink Finsbury is Happiness Project and personal, non work-related goals and progress, bronze snake Domino for work (teaching), chocolate Cross for home chores/projects/crafts, and red Domino for Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts.
  • Personals: gooseberry Domino is 100 things in 1001 days and book-o-fax, raspberry Finsbury is blogging/inspiration, purple Finsbury is Fab Frugal binder
  • Pockets: grape Domino is in need of an assignment (an "extra" from the children's Filofax Day), red Finchley is fitness log (poor thing is so neglected), Urban was a wallet but not posh enough for me--storage
  • Mini raspberry is lovely, yet lonely--she got bumped from use as wallet by Malden. May use as a daily 6 word memoir diary.

6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

I love the rings, the inserts, and the ability to remove what isn't needed and to add what is essential. And, while other brands may have rings, they just don't make me as happy as my Filofaxes do.

7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

I want a plum Malden with a front secretarial pocket, more card slots, and still have that cute, and useful, zippered pocket. Oh, and it has to be A5 sized when writing and shrink to a pocket for toting. If you're going to dream, dream big!

8. How do you carry your Filofax?

The Malden cousins are in my handbag. The others are parked on my desk and desperately need a loving, empty bookshelf to reside upon more nicely. Oh, the infighting when they are stacked vertically!

9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I think that plum Osterley will be mine once I finish my Education doctorate next year (fingers crossed and God-willing). An A5 would be splendid, but we shall see. Filofax better not pull that one from the stocks early!

10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

My A5 chocolate Cross was $80 USD, so that is the winner. Gosh, did I ever hmmn and haw over buying that one! I bought most of mine off of Ebay with some at ridiculously low prices. The ones I acquired brand new were the crimson Malden, chocolate Cross, mini raspberry Finsbury, and grape Domino.

11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

The camaderie and the support for my obvious Filofax "problem." The amount of detailed information regarding these binders, inserts, uses, etc. The humor, intelligence, and wit of the blog's creators and readers. The encouragement of others to blog about my Filos--I truly never imagined others could be as *excited* about Filofax, and paper planners in general, as myself. Silly me! I also appreciate the general tolerance for the anthropomorphizing of my Filofax family.

12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

Is this a trick question?

13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?

Seconds of Pleasure by Rockpile, and From Small Things: the Best of Dave Edmunds last year sometime. One led to the other that downloading day, so I listed both.

Thank you Sandra for taking your turn under the spotlight. Dave Edmunds fan myself!

11 comments:

  1. Yay! It was lovely reading about you today Sandra. Is 15 the true number though? Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reading about you Sandra..... off to check out your music choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE these Reader in the Spotlight segments!!
    Funny how the Malden ends up on top almost all the time. I MUST gets me one!
    Great post, enjoyed learning more about you Sandra :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this thanks Sandra - it's fun learning about our fellow readers and how they got started with filofaxes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found Philofaxy this spring and I must say I love it.
    Thank you Sandra for learning more about you. Since I´m a techer myself I´m really curious to find out how you use your A5 Domino for work. And I have to say that put the Malden on top on my list of future filofaxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra,

    thank you so much for the interview. It was great to have a closer look at your Filofax life.

    It seems there are so many people like you, having more than (my) three binders - and still use them sensibly! I will have to think it over...

    Still, I would really love to have an international meet up to see others in person, and how the set up / use their Filofaxes!

    Best wishes and kind regards,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandra, It was lovely to talk to you on Sunday's round table skype chat and follow up with reading about you. 15 Filofaxes, nothing wrong with that I say, it justifies my own collection. he, he.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Is this a trick question?" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading about you, Sandra! How on earth do you juggle your family, your job, and your academic studies? Oh. Right. I guess that's what all the Filofaxes are for! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for the Sandra spotlight! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  11. osterly osterly osterly! get the osterly! i'm thinking PLUM (yes plum) compact. maybe for my birthday tho. it's kinda priced for a self-birthday gift

    ReplyDelete