23 February 2014

Reader Under The Spotlight - Amanda

Hello! I am Amanda from She's Eclectic and I am a huge Philofaxy fan.  I live in Birmingham, England, with my husband and three children and am currently at stay at home mum.  I love to take photos and read crime novels so my ideal job would be as a private detective but as I don’t live in a 1950’s black and white movie I’m not sure how many people would need my services!  Instead I channel my love of photography (and Filofaxes) into Instagram.

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

January last year I brought a pink A5 size Apex in the sales and it was love at first sight.  I know some people hate the Apex range but I wanted a colourful planner and at that time the Original line hadn’t been released. I actually started using ring based planners while I was still in school (I am not going to admit how long ago that was!) but then I moved back into book style diaries.  

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I am a big fan of Dodo pads. I used their standard desk diaries for a few years until I brought my Filofax that is when I brought their filo compatible one instead and got the best of both worlds.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

I have trouble choosing between my two personal size filos because I love them both for different reasons. My yellow Original is such a warm and happy colour it puts a smile on my face each time I use it but my ochre Malden feels more luxurious and classy.

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

Six. That's quite good isn't it? In my defence I was trying to find the perfect size for me so I have an A5, two personals, two pockets and one compact.

5. What is the oldest Filofax in your collection?

My Apex just turned one.

6. What do you use your Filofax for?

I used to just use it as a diary but over the last year I have found myself adding more and more sections. I have lots of lists in it, books I want to read, posts I want to write, TV shows I am watching online, plans for the summer etc, things that inspire me, pictures and artwork I like.  I keep everything in there really.  

7. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

The freedom the rings give me, I can add things in and take them out as I need to.  I never need to worry about running out of space because I can just go through the pages and remove anything that I have completed or don’t need anymore.  I also like the way they look, the style and design.  I wouldn’t say I use mine as a fashion accessory but I do like that they look stylish.

8. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

Oooh the possibilities!  It would be personal size and made of soft but textured leather. It would have 30mm rings and a full width pocket at the back like you get in some pocket size filos for money or notes.  It would have a zipped section on the opposite side of the pen loop (which would be elasticated) to keep change in and some card slots too.  I think I would like it to be the same teal colour as the Finchley model or maybe a rose or pale yellow.  

9. How do you carry your Filofax?

I keep mine in a dust bag to protect it in my handbag.

10. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I love the teal Calipso and the bright blue but I won’t be buying either because they are compact and at the moment that ring size is too small for me.  I hope when the new designs come out this year there will be some nice green or blue colours in personal size to choose from.

11. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

I paid £60 for my Malden, I brought it from a lovely lady who had added it to her collection but never used it.  I was over the moon when I snagged it because the ochre colour had been sold out on the Filofax UK website for ages and they were really hard to find at the time.

12. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

I think this one is great for adding a zipped section to your binder.  I have been thinking of doing it for my Original as I don’t like the plastic zipper that came on the insert I brought.

13. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

The community. Everyone involved in Philofaxy, be it the team or the readers, all share the same passion. I don't think my family understand my planning and planner obsession (they don't judge me but I don't think they get it) and I'm sure some of my friends think I'm nuts but here we are all interested in a lot of the same things.

14. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

Nothing!

15. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

Teenage Dirtbags, the compilation album of rock songs. I have been bouncing round the house, singing (and I use the term loosely) along all afternoon.

16.  Mark Darcy or Daniel Cleaver? 

Mark Darcy, every time!

Thank you Amanda for agreeing to go under our 'spotlight' this week. If you would like to appear in this feature please contact steve at philofaxy dot com 

9 comments:

  1. How fun, Amanda!

    Great read.

    Lesley @ Trendy Twine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amanda. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big fan of Amanda's. ;) Fun read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla, you know the feeling is mutual! x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda, I live in Birmingham, Uk too. I only started filofaxing 5 days ago and so Im very new to all this. Where do you get all your decorating stuff and your extra pages for the Filofax. I have the Domino, and Im loving it .Hope you didnt mind me posting this comment.

    zoea2812.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, I get most of my supplies on eBay but there is a Hobby Craft in Solihull that has some great bits and bobs. Etsy is good too, they have lots of printables for extra pages as well as stickers and tapes :)

      Delete