08 August 2011
Reader Under the Spotlight - Roanne
1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?
My first actual Filofax was purchased in ... early 2005, I think. It was a Personal in Lizard.
2. What other brands have you used or considered using?
I used a Franklin Covey for almost a decade. I think Moleskin is my choice if my current Filofax dies. My first pseudo-Filofax was something from a Walden'sl bookstore; it was close in size to a personal Filofax, and obviously meant to copy one, but cheaply done. My very first planner/agenda ever was one by Virginia Slims cigarettes. My mom was a smoker and I wanted the planner badly, so she switched to Virginia Slims long enough to get me the proof-of-purchases I needed to get my free planner from them. My only electronic pda was the Handspring Visor Edge, which I wanted to like, and actually did like, but I prefer the immediacy of writing over typing.
3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?
I only own one, and it is my beloved vintage Personal sized Filofax in Ostrich. It is used and abused and probably only beautiful to me, but I adore it.
4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?
I know this qualifies me as a bit of a freak around here, but really just the one. I had two others (the Lizard, plus a personal sized Topaz), but since I only use one at a time, the minimalist in me drove me to find new homes for the other two.
5. What do you use your Filofax for?
Pretty much everything. Date book, to-do list, address book, password keeper, lists of all sorts. I've just started keeping my shopping list and menu planning in there. I want everything all in one place.
6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?
So many luxe models to choose from! I like the actual size of the Personal, too ... not too big and not to small. Plus, it is the granddaddy of all planners, and to me, the marquee name in agendas. I've always coveted one but never thought that I'd own one ... and then I did!
7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?
The paper quality of the inserts leaves a bit to be desired. Double pen loops on every binder, at least from Personal sized and up. And pen loops that accommodate many more pens than the Filofax's I've experienced deign to accommodate. The pen conundrum has been rather maddening for me. If/when I ever move away from Filofax, this will be a main factor in the decision
8. How do you carry your Filofax?
I carry it in hand or in my bag, depending on where I am or what I'm doing. If I'm out and about, it is in my handbag ... I carry large bags, so they can accommodate the Filo easily.
9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?
I love the Malden, personal, on Ochre. But buying? No.
10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?
I bought the personal Lizard when they were having a sale, spending just over $300 USD for it. It was gorgeous and worth every penny.
11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?
I didn't know there were other people out there as geeked about Filofaxes as I am. And there are a whole lot of us, and we all LOVE to yap about Filofaxes. Who knew?
12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?
You people are terrific enablers. I have to fight the urge to shop every single day. But that is my problem, not yours. Heh.
13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?
Lady Gaga's Born This Way.
Thank you Ro for agreeing to go under the spotlight and if anyone else would like to take part in this series please get in touch with Philofaxy