12 December 2011

Reader Under The Spotlight - Lorraine

This week let me introduce to you Lorraine, who is better known as MsPencil in the comments on Philofaxy.

I am a Stay At Home Mom. I have twin boys age 10. I am married to a retired military man. We have lived in several areas of the United States such as Oklahoma, Kansas and New York and we lived in Europe for 3 years.

I taught school for almost 15 years until I moved from North Carolina. I volunteer with CONTACT Health Services and The American Red Cross. I am crazy about stationery, pens and leather. I have so many handbags my friends call me The Bag Lady.

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

I purchased my first filofax sometime in 1995 or 1996 after I had gotten one for my sister. There was a Filofax store in the Roosevelt Field Mall in Long Island, New York. Unfortunately it is not there any more. My sister was dying for a personal size leather Filofax to start her new career after graduating from St. Josephs University in Philadelphia. She said she must have a personal size leather Filofax for her graduation present. It was about 95.00 US at the time and I thought Wow what an expensive calendar! To make her happy I got it and back then they engraved your initials on the front for free. Anyway, I loved all the colors of the smaller binders and the fact that there was a place to keep your pen I thought that was really cute. I kept going back and forth in the store for several months before I got the money and gumption to buy a red pocket size Kewick from that point on I was hooked. Later, I bought one for my mother.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I had used many generic brands before. The ones you pick up in clothing stores and drugs stores. One I hand write all the days, weeks and months in it. I messed up one of the days and had to go back and fix them. A big mess!

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

Right now the size I have been using is the mini imperial purple Finchley. I really like the way the leather feels. It is always in my purse. I use the A-5 for Family Stuff, The Personal will be my Diary. Does anyone have any idea how I can use my pocket?

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

I currently own 7 Filofaxes new and old. The latest are the A-5 Family Finsbury. I really like it better than I thought I would. It is a pretty cherry red color and the leather is quite nice.

5. What do you use your Filofax for?

I usually use my mine to make lists, write my To Do list for the day, record appointments etc.

6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

I like that it is has a pen holder, notes, and finances can all be held in one place.

7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?
If I could design a filofax all would have 2 pen holders and inside pockets for credit cards.

8. How do you carry your Filofax?

I always carry my mini in my purse. I never leave home with out it.

9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

In the current range of Filofaxes I like the look of the Osterly. It is very fashionable. No, I am not going to buy anymore Filofaxes for awhile.

10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

The most I have spent on a Filofax was probably 120.00 for the A-5 Finsbury Family.

11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

I like the Spotlights. Also I liked the one when I asked all the Philofaxy members what kind of pen do the use with there Filofax it got 53 comments. I felt so connected. It was fun.

12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

What is not to like about Philofaxy? I do not like that I did not get the chance to meet all of you at the London Meet Up. One day!

13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?

Corrinne Bailey Rae, The Sea!

Thank you Lorraine for agreeing to go under the spot

7 comments:

  1. Nice to 'meet' you Lorraine! It's always fun to read about other peoples filofax experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorraine,

    I'm also pleased to meet you! I like reading about you, and that reminds me of our community growing fastly.

    This is very nice to see, and adds different perspectives to the Filofax 'cases'. On the other hand, I feel a little sorry that it might never be possible to make The Great Meet Up...

    So we will keep reading and posting here!

    Best regards, Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine! It's nice to put a picture with the name since we have chatted via email. =) Looking forward to meeting you in person at the next NYC meet up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lorraine,

    Thanks for your post - it's good to read about you, and the Spotlight series is also one of my favourites.

    Best regards, Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, lovely to 'meet' you & I love learning more about other filofax fans :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Guys, I am truly excited to meet you as well. Hopefully, I will meet you guys as one of the meet ups. Enjoy your Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you guys so much. This was very special. Thanks Steve.

    ReplyDelete